Tuesday, August 28, 2012

More Cool Cocktails for Summer: The Champs Elysées


Still seeking a cool reprieve from the summer heat and seeking uses for my newly acquired bottle of Chartreuse, I've been experimenting with some non-whiskey cocktails. Today, another easy to make prohibition era classic, the Champs Elysées (recipe from the Savoy Cocktail Book by way of DrinkBoy):

1 1/2 ounces brandy
1/2 ounce Chartreuse
3/4 ounce lemon juice
1/2 ounce simple syrup
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice, strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with a lemon twist.

This is refreshing enough, but the brandy gets pretty overwhelmed by all of the other strong flavors, I bet this one would do better with a rye whiskey or maybe even gin.




2 comments:

bmajazz said...

Sku,

Chartreuse is one of my favorites. For a real whack in the face, try the Harry Denton:

1.25 oz gin
.5 oz Green Chartreuse

And drink, slowly.

Tom said...

Not sure which brandy you used, but I made one with Armagnac and I thought it ended up balancing out nicely. I also used only 1/2 oz of lemon juice. I'll try it next with Rye and see how things change, although I'm expecting it will end up close to a whiskey sour.

I'm appreciating the focus on cocktails recently! I just grabbed a bottle of chartreuse, so I've been experimenting with it as well.