Thursday, June 28, 2012

Tequila Week: The Añejos


Añejo or aged tequilas are aged more than a year. I only have two of these to try, both brands I sampled at other ages earlier this week.

Con Alma de Mujer Añejo, 35% abv

I've never found this one in the US so it may only be available in Mexico. The nose is floral with some citrus notes on it. I found the reposado version of this brand to be a bit bland, but this one has a bit more flavor to it. There is some acid with this agave that gives it a nice flavor, and it has a nice vanilla finish.

Los Tres Toños Añejo, 40% abv ($35)

The blanco version of this was one of my favorites of the tasting so far, so I was excited to try the aged version. The nose is very new makey. It's strong and a bit alcoholy but not in an unpleasant way. The palate has pine and some medicinal notes along with some of those earthy qualities I've found in so many of these tequilas. The finish is wild mushrooms sauteed in soy sauce. This is definitely the most complex of the tequilas I've sampled and my favorite of the bunch.


Concluding Thoughts


My two favorites in the tasting were both of the Los Tres Toños, the añejo and blanco. They stood head and shoulders above the rest in terms of flavor and complexity. Overall, I still think tequila tends to be a bit mild for my taste compared to the flavor explosion of mezcal, but I'll be on the look out for Los Tres Toños.

2 comments:

sam k said...

Would this be "Dusty Tequila Thursday?"

sku said...

Ha! No, dusty Thursday is suspended for Tequila Week.