Sunday, January 29, 2012

Boos Philly Cheesesteaks



I love a good Philly Cheesesteak. While I've been eating them for years and know what I like in a cheesesteak, I have literally never set foot in the City of Brotherly Love, so I can't tell you what's truly authentic. I can, however, tell you what's tasty, and the new Boos Philly Cheesesteaks at the corner of Virgil and Fountain is tasty.

This cheesesteak is a hefty overstuffed sandwhich served on a big Amoroso roll. I like them with provolone (yes Cheez Whiz is considered authentic and they offer it, but I've just never been able to do it). The steak was great, thin cut with plenty of pepper. I got mine with onions and then loaded with sweet peppers out of the condiment jar, but you can get it cooked up with mushrooms and peppers as well.

I'm thrilled to have a Hollywood/Los Feliz area option for cheesesteaks, and this is a satisfying one that measures up well to the best I've had. The cheese melts into a nearly transparent state and the bun soaks up the flavorful grease from the cheese, beef and onions, creating a slightly mushy whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. It's about the gestalt, and this place has got that down.

You could put ketchup on you steak (or Sriracha, which is also on the condiment table), but I've always preferred to eat my cheesesteaks sans condiments, just letting the beef, cheese, onions and peppers speak for themselves.

Fries are fine but nothing to write home about. Yeah, those are cheese fries with Whiz, I felt I had to get some Whiz in there to be legit.

The biggest downside to this place is the parking. They have a tiny lot (four regular and one disabled space) and street parking is rough. Go off-peak to assure yourself a spot, but do go if you're a cheesesteak fan. And if you're from Philly, as the owners are, let me know how you think it stacks up to the real thing.


Boos Philly Cheesesteaks
4501 Fountain Ave. (parking lot off Virgil)
Los Angeles, CA 90029
(323) 661-1955

8 comments:

sam k said...

Sku, though I'm less then three hours from Philly, it's tough to get a reasonable facsimile even here. I prefer the steak to be chopped to the rhythm of two spatulas, and the cheese well-integrated into the meat.

Don't apologize for your deference to real cheese vs./ Whiz...no one in their right mind (OK, maybe it's just me) likes that stuff on a pile of decently grilled meat. Glad to hear you get Amorosos there! The roll is an ingredient way too often overlooked in a great cheesesteak.

SteveBM said...

I go to Philly about twice a year. I'm a provolone "wit out" (that's Philly-speak for no onions) cheesesteak guy. I can tell you this much - it really doesn't matter where you get it, a good cheesesteak is a good cheesesteak. In fact, the popular places in Philly I find to be awful (Pat's and Geno's).

I typically just go steak and cheese but sometimes I'll add shrooms. Occasionally I'll do a mix of bbq & mayo too if I'm feelin it. I'll be out in Hollywood soon for biz so thanks for the tip if I'm in a cheesesteak mood.

Anonymous said...

I agree with SteveBM and sam k. Actually, I always preferred Tony Luke's when I was in Philly.

sku said...

Thanks for all the input from real Phily folk. I can tell already I'm going to have to make it out there just to experience the real thing.

Anonymous said...

if you go to Philly, check out Village Whiskey! it's a little on the overpriced side, but it has a pretty good bourbon selection and some interesting cocktails, and very decent food.

sku said...

And as to Amorosos, they aren't a regular thing here, but every good cheesesteak shop I've been to has shipped them in from Philly.

This place also had Wise chips and Tastycakes, which I take it are Philly comfort foods, but nothing I've ever gotten excited about.

SteveBM said...

I second Village Whiskey. Agreed that it is definitely on the pricey side but great selection and some fantastic classic cocktails goin on there too. People rave about the burger. I thought it was good, not mind-blowingly good, but good. It's owned by Jose Garces, of Iron Chef fame.

Also, since I know you're into food - Morimoto is a spot to hit up as is any Marc Vetri spot.

Anonymous said...

I've sampled all the best cheesesteaks in Philly. I agree with other posters here that the two giants (Genos and Pats) are historical relics but lousy restaurants. The best I've had in Philly is a place called John's Roast Pork. They also do an incredibly great Roast Pork sandwich, as you might expect.