Sunday, January 24, 2010

Dim Sum, Art and Animals with Ken Tanaka at King Hua

Last weekend, my good friend Ken Tanaka, YouTube celebrity, artist, animal lover and otherwise renaissance man, accompanied me for dim sum at King Hua in Alhambra. King Hua is one of my current favorites for dim sum. Their food is fresher and sharper than your standard dim sum. I also appreciate that you can choose from a wider selection of teas than at most dim sum houses. Dim sum is so much better when enjoyed with a deeply earthy cup of pu-erh tea than the usual swill.

And unlike me, Ken photographs food (and animals). See his excellent report on our meal here. As for King Hua, it was excellent as usual. I especially liked their fried rice, which I hadn't tried before. It was well balanced with just the right amount of oil to give it that slightly glistening look.

King Hua Restaurant, Inc.
2000 W. Main St. (between Fremont and Atlantic)
Alhambra, CA 91801
(626) 282-8833

4 comments:

Dave -nibbleanibble said...

King Hua is a bit more expensive compared to similar restaurants in the area. But I guess you can say the quality is a bit better?

Daily Gluttony said...

you know that i live practically down the street from king hua and have never been there? (bad chinese person!) i really need to go.

sku said...

You're right Dave, it is more expensive, even compared to Sea Harbor and Elite I think, but I like it more than Sea Harbor.

DG, yes, go.

Another bonus is proximity to Fosselman's, if you have any room for dessert after King Hua's excellent cream buns, almond sponge cake and other dim sum sweets.

SinoSoul said...

Unlike DG, I was a good neighbor to King Hua and frequented frequently. The chickie still pimps Elite til this day, mostly because they have thicker table cloth. Women!