Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Happy Chanukah!

I love Chanukah and all of it's oil-soaked glory. What could be better than a holiday in which you are practically required to cook fried foods? The fact that it has a cheese tie in is just gravy.

I love cooking the Chanukah meal and use my well-tested recipes for latkes (with homemade apple sauce) and noodles kugel.







For the second year, I've also tried some doughnuts. Last year, I did little cake doughnuts. This year's batch were glazed yeast doughnuts, but the yeast didn't really do its thing, so they were a bit dense but still tasty.



When Chanukah is this close to Christmas, it's a real hardship for the bi-religious home cook, so soon I'll be mixing up eggnog. We will do traditional Jewish Christmas Eve at a Chinese restaurant (I'll report back) and then I'll be cooking Christmas dinner.

Happy holidays!

Whiskey Wednesday will be back for the new year.

2 comments:

Dr. Whisky said...

Heh... traditional Jewish Xmas at a Chinese restaurant. Happy Merry everything from one bi-religious whisky nerd to another.

sku said...

Thanks Doc, Happy Holidays to you too, and thanks for your holiday recommendations post. Based on your rec, I finally decided to ask a loved one for a SMWA membership...should be fun.